Sources said the commission has completed the hearing of the matter related to the burning of the S-6 coach of the Sabarmati Express train on February 27, 2002.
The petitioner, Mukul Sinha of Jan Sangarsh Manch, wants to cross-examine Zaheera in connection with an affidavit filed by her before the commission.
Forty residents of the Ahmedabad society, including former Congress Member of Parliament Ehsaan Jafri, were killed in the post-Godhra massacre.
The seven others who Kodnani wanted to be summoned as witnesses are former BJP MLA Amrish Patel, Jagdish Patel, Lakhabhai Rathod, Dhaval Shah, Dhiraj Rathod, M D Lakhiya and Kantibhai Solanki.
The commission will visit the Godhra railway station and inspect the S-6 coach of the Sabarmati Express during its one-day visit.
'It was his presence that instigated the rioters even more,' Dr Yunus Mohammed Usman Bhavnagari, a dentist, told the Nanavati Commission.
A sadhvi who travelled in the ill-fated Sabarmati Exress told Godhra Commission that the train was stopped for some youths who had been left behind on Godhra station.
Then minister of state for home Gordhan Jhadafiya was apparently referring to deaths in police firing in Bhavnagar: six persons died of which five were Hindus and one Muslim.
Mohammed Sharif Mallik alleged that a man in his locality was stabbed, while his friend's house was torched on February 27 last year.
As the Nanavati Commission probing the Sabarmati Express fire termed it "pre-planned", Justice U Bannerjee who carried out a separate probe into the incident maintained that it was an "accident" and could never have been triggered through petrol.
Referring to government's announcement that cases against individuals named in the Nanavati report would be reopened and re-examined 'within the ambit of law', Amnesty said it welcomes these steps but is concerned about delays.\n\n
The question, whether these CDs are authentic or not, has to be cleared first," Justice G T Nanavati, chairman of the two-member commission probing the Godhra train carnage and the subsequent riots said while hearing the matter.
'Do you allow the guilty to go scot free just because the perpetrators of such heinous crimes were able to protect themselves from the law for 20 years?'
Justice G T Nanavati on Monday said: "Local Congress leaders had a role in the riots. It (riots) was organised. It would not have been possible without the help of the Congress leaders."
The retired Supreme Court judge probing the Godhra incident and the riots that followed it said it will be wrong to say the riots targeted one community.
A special court of the Central Bureau of Investigation in Ahmedabad on Tuesday rejected the anticipatory bail application of Additional Director General of Gujarat Police Prithvi Pal Pandey, paving the way for his arrest in the 2004 fake encounter case of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
Summary of sports events and persons who made news on Sunday
The Delhi high court on Tuesday dismissed pleas of Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and two others -- challenging the framing of murder and rioting charges against them -- in a case related to the 1984 anti-Sikh riots in the city. Justice Suresh Kait refused to quash the charges framed against Kumar and the other accused by a trial court in the case related to the killings of six people in Delhi's Sultanpuri area.
His action after the Godhra train violence doesn't support the picture of an effective and no-nonsense deliverer of good governance, says Nilanjan Mukhopadhyay
A bench of justices G S Sistani and G P Mittal also asked Kumar to appear before the Registrar General of the high court to furnish bail bonds on September 2 in the case.
World Squash Federation president Narayana Ramachandran is set to be elected unopposed as the president of Indian Olympic Association in the polls to be held here next month as he was the only candidate to file nomination papers for the top post.
In a setback to Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, the Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed his plea for quashing of charges against him in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.
The Gujarat high court on Tuesday directed a Special CBI Court in Ahmedabad to hear afresh the anticipatory bail application of senior IPS officer Prithvi Pal Pandey, an accused in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case, and granted him relief from arrest till August 6.
The element of curiosity and chill is doubled when it's inspired from real-life manslaughter.
'Loss of faith in the fairness of the system and the perception that one cannot expect justice are the first few steps to the slippery slope of anarchy,' warns Colonel Anil A Athale (retd).
'They (the government) want to tame everything.' 'The entire systems they are trying to change.'
'In what must go down as one of the most nonchalant remarks by the head of any hospital, J J Hospital Dean Dr Ranjit Mankeshwar said: 'We do not know where the staff was, but he did not suffer serious wounds'.'
The appeal filed by Jagdish Kaur and Nirpreet Kaur, who had lost their close relatives in the carnage following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi, has sought setting aside of the trial court's April 30 judgment. They have in their plea filed through advocate Kamna Vohra contended that the verdict was "erroneous" as the trial court had failed to appreciate that there was ample legally admissible evidence against Kumar to show he had allegedly "engineered" the murders of five Sikh persons in Raj Nagar area of Delhi Cantonment
'The consolation is that in recent years, the focus at the time of the anniversary has been increasingly shifting from Indira Gandhi's assassination to the plight of the thousands of innocent Sikhs who had been killed in retaliation,' Manoj Mitta, co-author of When a Tree Shook Delhi: The 1984 Carnage and its Aftermath, tells Prasanna D Zore/Rediff.com.
The Delhi high court on Monday sought the response of the Central Bureau of Investigation and the two persons, who were sentenced to three years in jail for rioting in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, on the plea of victims' families challenging the trial court verdict acquitting them of murder charges.
The 59-year-old Batra is one of the few sports administrators to head a national Olympic committee while heading an important international sports federation.
'Can he remain ignorant by saying he was 13 years old?' 'That means Rahul Gandhi must not talk on any subject in this country that precedes his adulthood.' 'He should remain unaware of history and knowledge of anything that has happened.'